Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fall & winter garden

Well seed catalogs are out for fall & winter gardens.  Territorial Seed & Johnny's Seed are my primary sources of seeds and information.  www.territorialseed.com  ,  www.johnnyseeds.com
Ellie, I am learning how to do more on Blogger  :)

  Time to order garlic cloves, I am going to plant 50% hard neck and 50% soft neck this year again.  The hard neck has the scipes that are fun to harvest and enjoy this time of the year.  The hard neck garlic do not keep well so they are also the first to be used in fall cooking.  I save the soft neck for late winter- summer cooking as they store better.  I have 3 or 4 cloves left from last season's harvest.  I planted two 4 X 7 beds of garlic last fall, so I will have lots to cook with this summer and next winter.  I am looking forward to sowing spinach, kale, cabbage, winter beets, winter carrots in August in the unheated greenhouse.  I will be taking out the old spinach from last season next week in my free time.
It is interesting, I checked my soil temperature Thursday, it is only 55 degrees now.  One reason things grow so slow here. Check your soil temperature and let me know how you compare.  I have to remember that just a few weeks ago it was snowing and we had 20 degree nights.

Well time to go.

enjoy

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment