Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fall Gardening

It is hard for me to plan too far ahead but July and August is time to start planing and begin sowing fall & winter gardens.  Once the cooler weather of fall arrives growth slows down.   Last winter I harvested spinach from 24 plants and a few dozen leeks all winter and continued to harvest those plants until June when they finally bolted.  This winter I will be growing more spinach, kale, carrots, leeks.   On this side of the mountains having a lite frost frost blanket and poly cover removes much of the stress that out in the open growing puts on the plants.  The wind and cold rains seem to be hard on plants.  I have lots to learn about fall and winter gardening but during the winter I have time to enjoy my garden in my high tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment