Monday, October 10, 2011

Flowers

I am really not that interested in flowers.  I just don't care one way or the other about them, but I was chatting with my physical therapist about my garden and my aphid issues this last week and she mentioned that she plants a row of flowers a row of veg, etc and that she has very little issues with aphids or other common pests because the flowers attract the "right" kind of bugs.  It sounds very logical, so I was doing a little research on it and it seems like this is a really common way that people grow veg organically.  It allows for a reduction in the need for pesticides....

Now I just need to figure out what flowers to plant next to my veg so they are flowering at the right time of year.  This is getting very complicated now!  :)

Butter leaf lettuce (second batch) is really flourishing!!  Pulled out the Kohlrabi last week and I am overflowing with Jalapenos right now.  Probably the best investment in my garden so far.  That plant has produced pretty much the whole summer and now into fall, with some very flavorful jalapenos.  Definitely getting another one of those!!

Anyone else plant flowers with their Veg?  Any luck??  Suggestions for flowers to plant + veg combo?

I've seen a lot of people on the Internet speaking about planting morning glory...but I always thought that was a weed...maybe I'm thinking of the wrong plant??

Also, sun flowers?  I wish it was spring again already....Still love my garden, but it's not as fun to go out there when it's pouring down.

No comments:

Post a Comment