Friday, October 28, 2011

Gardens 2012

Well as we clean out this summers gardens and prepare them for winter it is time to begin planning for next seasons gardens. Each year I get distracted with my business when my garden needs to go into the ground, may be next year will be better. Just work on improving. Today I found an article in "Oregon Live" about pumpkins for eating. Silly thing. Many years ago Bobbe and I searched out information an cooking with pumpkins and everything we found started with canned pumpkin. Times are changing. Last year I did take a real pumpkin cut it up baked it and made a pumpkin puree that we froze. It was fine but the color was very lite and flavor was not very good. next year I hope to try some more pumpkin varieties and see if I can find one that taste great. Pumpkins and other winter squash take up lots of room in the garden but many of them will stay fresh for many months after harvesting. Oh, Bobbe often puts pumpkin and winter squash chunks in soups and stews. A great addition to a winter meal. Now remember if you do plant pumpkins or winter squash, remember they take up a lot of room in the garden. Well see if this works, the link to the Oregon live site : http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2011/10/pumpkin_in_food_its_scary_good.html#incart_hbx

Bob

1 comment:

  1. That's a great article! I planted a 'sweet pumpkin' variety this fall. I haven't gotten any pumpkins yet, and I'm a little worried that I planted them too late. The plant itself is very large, and there have been some flowers, but so far no pumpkins! I was planning on trying to make a stew with them when they arrived. Might not get a thing....just have to tuck that away in my "learnings" file.

    ReplyDelete