Sunday, May 27, 2012

More from "Snowshoe Inn"

  1. Well, I will not say weather has been "normal" here at Snowshoe Inn but it has been interesting.  Last week we received an inch of rain mostly during one 24 hour period.  Before that we had several nights with low temperatures in the low 20's.  I have used nearly 10 gallons of Kerosene in to keep my large greenhouse from freezing. I had taken several large geraniums out of the heated greenhouse to make room for sowing my spring garden




.  This week my asparagus has begin to show up.  the older plants first and the roots planted last season are beginning to follow.  It has been a challenge to get the asparagus established here for some reason.  I will give them a few more years but I will not be planting any more.  If they do not take out they go and something else will be in there slot.  My blueberries are recovering somewhat now.  It will take them several years to replace the growth lost this last winter.  I am becoming more of a believer in organic fertilizer practices.  I used chemical fertilizers on them last summer to try to get some growth in the plants but as fall approached the plants just would not go dormant.  The winter cold weather killed much of the new soft growth.  I have several flats of seedlings in the heated greenhouse going.  I will out plant some of the older seedlings soon if weather starts to warm up next week.  I have squash just beginning to germinate in soil blocks this week.  I am looking foreword to a "few" remember Ellie a few zucchini this summer.

enjoy

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment