Monday, May 28, 2012

Still alive!

Sorry I've been so quiet lately.  I put my garden in and then it started raining like crazy and then work got busy and I have not been as attentive as I would like to this year.

My blueberries and huckleberries are planted along with my German butterball potatoes and my sweet potatoes.  I'm very excited for those this year.  I am doing the vertical potting for one set of the potatoes and doing a second set old fashion in the ground way!  We'll see how they each do.  I have high hopes for the vertical planting because I'm finding my garden space this year is not quite as large as my dreams for it!  Running out of room fast.

Although, last year everything started peaking out at me right away, this year...it's going much slower.  Everything is growing....but not nearly as quickly.

I've had good success with peas, they came up right away.  And the garlic I put in last fall is growing beautifully.  My vertical potatoes are growing and I've even got corn peaking up at me.

I put my lettuce in the ground this year instead of the raised beds and I see a few peaking up but not very much and I tried shallots, leeks and sweet onions this year, I'm crossing my fingers that they grow.  The ones I planted last year in the raised beds, never really did grow correctly.  They grew up but they looked like green onions (never got a bulb).  They were all in the raised bed and since we brought that dirt in from another place it seems more "clay" like dirt.  I'm trying a few things IN the beds and out of them to see if there is a difference in the dirt.

My rhubarb is growing nicely too!  Thanks for that!!  I look forward to strawberry rhubarb pie this summer.

And finally, the much anticipated asparagus.  I didn't think anything was growing out there because of the weeds...I might have pulled up half of my crops since they're mostly "new" items for me to grow and I'm not sure what they should look like, but I DID finally find some asparagus!  So happy to see them.  One of my all time favorite vegetables.  I'm so happy to have some in my garden finally.

Not a lot of major growth, and I planted three different squash this year, yes only 3!  Only 2 are coming up so far, 1 pumpkin, 1 acorn squash and 1 zucchini, so far, no zucchini.  If I don't see growth in the next two weeks I'll plant another one to be safe.  I do love sauteed zucchini in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment