Monday, May 21, 2012

Sunday May 20th

An overcast day, great time to work in garden.  I pulled about half of the pine needles from the blueberry greenhouse.  It should have been done much earlier in the season but so many other things to do at "Snowshoe Inn".  I found that the soil was about 2 to 4 degrees cooler under the pine needles than in open garden.  It is obvious, but good to verify what I expected.  I will return the pine needles to the greenhouse when soil temperature reaches 70 degrees this summer to keep the soil cooler.  I am going to wait a while before pruning the damaged stems this season. I am hoping that much of what I think are dead are not so.  Garlic is still looking great.  The spinach in the cool greenhouse and greens in the grow room are growing faster than we can eat them.  I am going to have to just feed the compost pile soon to keep things going.  The spinach is beginning to show signs of bolting.  I did transplant some more spinach to the open garden so the harvest will be somewhat continuous.  I made up two trays of soil blocks and sowed about one and half last night. I want a potting shed, the greenhouse is too small and too hot this time of the year to work.

Well we had a T'Storm last night but not much moisture.  Oh, it sounded like a freight trail coming down the canyon.  Forecast for this week is much cooler and wet.  They current forecast has Snow later in the week.  Well see if it happens.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment