Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cabbage Worms

Last Saturday when I was cleaning up my garden I noticed my brussel sprouts were looking a little worse for wear, but I saw no signs of the dreaded aphids.  So I just rinsed them off every morning this week like I'd been doing to everything else in the garden.

What I DID happen to notice this last week has been the daily white moth looking thing fluttering around my garden.  I thought it was a good thing, killing off my aphids.  Wrong.  I'm still fighting my arch nemesis the aphid, but in addition, I'm fairly sure I have cabbage worms as well.  Some of the images from the cabbage worm destruction look a little too familiar.

So I went out tonight in my pj's and dusted my cabbage and brussel sprouts with self rising flour.

I wonder if using chemicals would be harder or easier sometimes.  Knowing I just went into my kitchen and potentially fixed a problem without adding anything harmful to what I'm eating is kind of cool....assuming it works.  And I always wonder how long it will work...is this a every week "fix" or for a month??  Who knows!

I run a lot in neighborhoods now, and I always want to stop at a house with a big garden and look for their bugs.  I wonder if I'm the only one struggling sometimes.  Are they cheating and using something?? Or did I just not put the right amount of prevention into my garden before I started?  Luck of the draw??  I guess on the bright side, I'm learning out how to deal with these regular pests early on.  I should be a pro just about the time we sell this house and I have to start a new garden at another place.  :)

P.S.  So far, the hosing off trick for the aphids has not worked.  They're still enjoying my veg.

No comments:

Post a Comment