Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Horn Toot'n


Chard + Zucchini + Yellow Squash - Very pretty
All baked up, not as pretty, but very yummy

Swiss Chard + onion
Last night I made a baked Swiss chard + zucchini + yellow squash all together with some olive oil, garlic and cheese.  I baked the stems of the Swiss chard, zucchini and yellow squash together for about 20 min before I took it out of the oven, put some cheese over the top of that, then topped it with the greens from the chard and drizzled that with olive oil.  I think it was quite good.  Derrick liked it too.  It's my first time cooking Swiss chard.  I never would have bought it but I signed up for a local veg bag through work.  I spent $5 and they gave me a HUGE bag of veg that was grown locally.  I'm glad I did it because I think I'll be planting Swiss chard next year.  The flavor of the greens were amazing.  I really liked them.










We also had our first FULLY grown corn from the garden.  I know I am bias (of course) but I think it is the best corn I have ever eaten.  Ever.  I simply loved it!

To round out the meal I made a weight watchers recipe (one of my favorites) for chicken cordon blu.  I take a chicken breast, flatten it out, use a laughing cow wedge, and a few slices of Canadian bacon, but I had picked a few jalapenos from my garden so I diced some of those up as well and added them to the chicken roll.  It was a nice kick and it added a new flavor that I really enjoyed.


Anyway, it was a great meal and I am really excited that most of it came from my garden.

1 comment:

  1. Ellie
    Swiss Chard is one of the crops you can grow all winter in Portland. We grow it to a baby leaf stage and use it in salads. Arugula is another great green for winter. There are so many different foods and ways to prepare them. My garden is on hold right now between work, and taking care of mom. only so many hours in a day

    Bob

    ReplyDelete