Friday, September 2, 2011

Sept. 2, 2011

There was some talk of starting a family blog for our gardening tips.  I decided to follow up on it and create a spot for us to share what is going on in our garden and hopefully create a space for discussion and tips for our gardens that we can look back on throughout the next few gardening seasons.

At this point in my garden, the Kohlrabi is full and the corn is coming on.  My tomatoes never did want to ripen, I have many green ones on the vine, but they never got red.  My zucchini and squash are finally done.  I need to pull up the dead plants and the onions I planted should be getting ready to harvest in the next few weeks I hope.  I never did get any potatoes in the ground, but I hope next year to get some in.

The pumpkins got in the raised beds, but I'm afraid they'll be too late for Halloween harvest.  That's okay, I planted two types, the sweet eating pumpkins and the Jack-O-Lantern types.  I learned my lesson with the zucchini...only TWO for the pumpkins!

I don't know how much of a garden I'll try and maintain this winter, but I like to think I'll continue and keep it going, even if it's only a few things.

As much as I look forward to next summer's garden, I'm a little sad that I wont be rototilling it all up again and starting fresh.  That rototiller was fun!  But the weeds all summer were not!

Derrick keeps raving about Josh's blueberries that he gave us, so I'm sure that they'll be on the top of the list for "must have" next summer.  Along with some Huckleberries for me.  I might give the peas a second shot, but I'm done with radishes!  No more.

After I pull my tomatoes up I plan on grooming that area for my asparagus ditches this fall.  I hope to take advantage of the large space I have for a garden and do shorter rows with more "stuff" next summer.  I still can not figure out what I did to my cauliflower and broccoli, neither of which ever grew....again, next summer!

Okay, that's all I have today.  I hope to share once a week or so.  Please feel free to chime in whenever it works out best for all of you.  Adding pictures is nice as well.  I'll do that when I get some time tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment